Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Wasted Space Becomes Closet Space

Our apartment has a strange layout where there are these unusually long hall areas that lead to the very large walk in closets.  However, the closet in our daughters room is being used as more of a storage area and  has stuff in it we definitely don't want them having access to on a regular basis.  So, until now we have simply been putting all Emilia's clothes in her chest of drawers.  Now that #2 will have clothes we need to accommodate as well, we needed to review our options.

I didn't want to buy more furniture because it would just take up their play space and using their closet was also something I did not want to do.  So, I turned to the hall leading to this closet and thought, "Let's just turn this into a closet!"

I started by finding some pretty hanging closet dividers and was luckily able to find some great ones.  Since this project was looking possible, my husband and I went to the local hardware store to see what we could find to hang a rod from a wall with.

Originally I wanted to hang it from the ceiling, but our ceiling is concrete so that was not an immediate option.  We were able to buy these plant brackets and spray paint them white so they were not so obvious.


We hung the rod from the brackets with some beautiful pink ribbon I got and have used around the room to accent things.  It looks great and works so well if you don't have a closet!

We also went ahead and put up a pocket shoe organizer on the wall and are using it for all sorts of things besides her shoes- burp clothes, combs and brushes, hair bows, nail care stuff.  The possibilities are endless and it is a really easy way to organize things for kids.


Below the closet are storage bins for all her toys.  I have them separated into a bin for balls, a bin for soft toys, and a bin for everything else. Why you may ask?  Because my daughter loves to hide my keys and this way I can shake the bins and if I don't hear them in the first 2 bins then I only have 1 bin to look through!

We have had this area like this since July and it had worked out perfectly.  It also contains the mess a lot and forces my daughter to put things back if she wants room to play with new things!  She hasn't taken to just moving everything over to the big space in her room, but I'll let her figure that one out on her own, lol.

1 comment: