Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Blackout Wall Canopy: Background

*For instructions please see Blackout Wall Canopy: How To

For some people adding a canopy to their bed is a luxury. For us parents who are willing to do anything to get a couple extra minutes of sleep, the idea of a blackout canopy is genius.  So, how do we make this idea a reality? Let's start by going over the fact that I could not find ANYTHING like this anywhere.  No one uses canopies around their children's cribs to keep out light, this seems crazy to me as so many people use blackout curtains in their nurseries and rooms.  So, I needed to draw inspiration from the looks I love.

 Love this room from Restoration Hardware's Baby & Child :
 
The bassinet from Babies"R"Us is close, but these curtains from Pottery Barn Kids are perfect:
Ruffle Blackout Panel


Only problem is that to completely surround a crib, you would need 3 of the Pottery Barn Kids Ruffle Blackout curtains which at $99 each, puts you at over $300 with shipping for just 1 crib.  As I mentioned before, I am preparing a nursery for 2 girls under the age of 2 so canopies for both would put me at $600 for just curtains. Let's continue though, I'll get to the total price break down in a second. 

The obstacle: 
For some reason, our ceiling is concrete.  My husband tried drilling into the ceiling and broke the drill bit he was using.  So, we need to hand this canopy off the wall. The only wall canopy I have been able to find that is remotely sensible is this following one from Restoration Hardware's Baby & Child: 
Surprisingly enough, this is only $50, which is just a fraction of the other wall canopy hardware you find out there. 

So, if I used the products from Restoration Hardware Baby & Child and Pottery Barn Kids, I would find myself making 2 blackout wall canopies for $700 plus shipping, so probably around $750.  While I would gladly pay this for the extra sleep I know this will afford me, I just had to see what I could do about it.  Paying this much for some fabric and a twisted pieces of metal just seems absurd when you aren't sleep deprived and  can think clearly about it.  

Lucky for me I was able to do the below for under $200.  My next post will explain how:


No comments:

Post a Comment